Music in the Dorm

Music has become more relevant in my life than it ever has before. Yes, I was in a band and listened to music with my friends, but surprisingly I never listened to music on my runs, while studying or in the car. Crazy I know. Moving far out of state has been an adjustment for me, as it is with most freshmen, I have found listening to music helpful. Running is a stress reliever but sadly I cannot go on runs late at night like I used to back home in Tennessee. I have now turned to music to help me focus on my homework and destress at night. Jane Colling Wood wrote an article this past July on how music helps release stress. Wood says that music can help absorb our emotions and distract our brains from our stressful and busy lives. Wood also says that screaming and shouting can also release stress. Therefore, singing in the shower is completely acceptable and your roommates have no right to judge. Nicky Davis wrote her article on how music can help with studying. She says that background can help prolong study sessions for students. For me, I have found this true. I come from a loud Greek family, so I am used to lots of background noise. I believe that listening to music has made me feel more at home here in the big city. Davis also talks about the studies that have proven that music can help restore the connection between mind and body. I feel that this is very important to college students because we sometimes forget to take time to tend to our needs. My roommates and I will combine music with our outing. We will play music from a speaker when we walk to the grocery store and when we make our "family" dinners. I will continue to use Wood's and Davis's advice on using music in my everyday life to help me relax and focus. 





58+ images for 'Listening To Music While Studying Clipart'

Comments

Popular Posts